Monday, July 9, 2012

Perfect Roasted Chicken


Up until a couple of years ago, I had never roasted a chicken in my life.  It seemed a bit intimidating, but I followed this recipe and it actually ended up being really easy.  I was so impressed with the results!  It doesn't involve a whole lot of prep and you end up with a whole meal in one pan.  The oven does all the work for you. Now I make this at least once a month.  So simple and delicious!


Perfect Roast Chicken
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: 6 - 8

Ingredients:
  • 1 (5 to 6 pound) whole chicken
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 bunch of fresh thyme
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
  • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
  • 4 carrots, cut into 1/2" chunks
  • 8 red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp. flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat the over to 425 degrees.
  2. Remove the giblets from the chicken and discard.  Rinse the chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.  
  3. Place the vegetables in the bottom of a roasting pan or large glass baking dish.  Place the chicken on top of the vegetables. 
  4. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken.  Place the lemon halves, bunch of thyme and all the garlic inside the chicken.  
  5. Brush the outside of the chicken with the melted butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken.  
  6. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hour.  Spoon 2 tbsp. of the pan drippings into a small cup.  Cover the chicken with foil while you prepare the gravy.
  7. Add the chicken stock to a pan and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes.  Combine the flour with the 2 tbsp. of pan drippings.  Whisk the mixture into the chicken broth.  Boil for a few minutes until thickened.  
  8. Slice the chicken and serve with gravy and vegetables.

Notes & Suggestions:

When I first started making this recipe, all I had was my mom's old turkey roasting pan.  So I used it a couple of times and noticed that my veggies kept burning.  So I started using a large glass baking dish instead, and I waited to add the veggies to the pan after the chicken had roasted for 1/2 hour.  That seemed to solve my burning problem.  

Make sure you season the chicken and the veggies well.  Along with salt and pepper, I also use Emeril's Chicken Rub (you can find it in the spice aisle of your store).  

A variation of this recipe I make every now and then involves adding bacon on top of the chicken while it roasts.  After you coat the chicken with melted butter and season it, cover it with slices of bacon.  I usually use 5-6 slices.  After the chicken roasts for 45 minutes, remove the bacon (otherwise it will burn) and continue roasting for another 45 minutes.  Great flavor and very juicy!

You can also roast the chicken (without the veggies), take the meat off the bone, freeze it and use it in casseroles (such as Three-Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta Bake).  




No comments:

Post a Comment