Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Simple Smoothie

There are tons of smoothie recipes out there, but I have noticed that a lot of them have weird stuff in them, like flaxseeds or protein powder.  There's nothing wrong with that stuff...it's just not my thing.  So I was happy when I found this simple, straightforward recipe.  I love making these for a quick breakfast.  They're thick and creamy, kinda like a fruity milkshake.


Simple Smoothie
Inspired by this recipe on Allrecipes.com

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Serves: 1

Ingredients:
  • 6 frozen strawberries
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
  • 1 tbsp. sugar, honey or artificial sweetener

Directions:
  1. In a blender, combine the strawberries, banana, milk, yogurt and sugar.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  

Notes & Suggestions:

This recipe is so versatile.  You can use any kind of fruit.  Strawberry & banana is just one of my favorites.  If you can find a frozen tropical fruit mix, that is really yummy too.  I usually just throw in a handful of whatever frozen fruit I get.  Fresh fruit works great too, but I have found that the smoothie doesn't seem to come out as thick.  Adding a few cubes of ice does help though.  

I like to use Greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani brand) because it's thicker and has lots protein, which keeps you fuller longer.  I first tried using plain yogurt but I didn't like the tartness of it.  Then I discovered the vanilla. Much tastier!  


No comments:

Post a Comment